The Meeple League is proud to announce that we’re adding a new plaque to next year’s awards:
Online Player of the Year
We will keep track of everyone’s performance across all of our online leagues using the following point system:
- You get points equal to the league points you accumulate in every game you play, so the usual 10 points for 1st place in a game, 6 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and 1 point for finishing in 4th place.
- You get bonus points for each game you win
- 1-point bonus for winning a game in Division 3
- 2-point bonus for winning a game in Division 2
- 3-point bonus for winning a game in Division 1
- You also get bonus points for winning your group
- 2-point bonus for winning a Group in Division 3
- 5-point bonus for winning a Group in Division 2
- 10-point bonus for winning a Group in Division 1
One of our goals was to acknowledge the (much) tougher strength of schedule and accomplishment of winning the top divisions, while also making sure you didn’t need to be playing in the top Divisions to win this. Using the points above it works out that crushing a Division 3 Group 4-0-0-0 is worth about the same amount of points as winning 2 games and narrowly taking the Group in Division 1. This is our first year doing an Online Player of the Year, so there’s no guarantee we got all weights tuned correctly, but we feel pretty good about this as a starting point. Meanwhile, it is pure point accumulation, so the more leagues you play in, the more points you can get.
We currently run leagues for 5 games: Agricola, Brass, Castles of Burgundy, Through the Ages, and Thurn and Taxis. If we add any new games during 2018, they will count, too. For whatever it’s worth, we started our first two leagues in January and over the course of 2017 we ran 5 seasons of Thurn and Taxis and 4 seasons of Agricola (counting the two seasons that are currently in progress). We expect to open up at least two seasons for registration in December (Through The Ages season 2 and Castles of Burgundy Season 4) and those will count as the first events of the 2018 year.
Good luck and have fun!